Wednesday, May 16, 2012

When I Am Afraid

Psalm 121(NIV) 1I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot slip-- he who watches over you will not slumber; 4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand; 6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life;8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.


This scripture has been a rock that I have stood upon many times in my life. When I miscarried twins at age 41, when there was a breach in the relationship with my oldest daughter, when my youngest daughter struggled with anorexia and suicide, when I buried my dad, when I buried my mother, when the person I called my closest friend and prayer partner betrayed, lied and tried to destroy our church, I prayed, "I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from, my help comes from You Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth!"   


He IS Maker of heaven and earth!  He IS always there!  He IS keeping watch over our lives!  He IS where our help comes from!  We can rest in His arms and put our trust in His ability to carry us through any storm we may face in life.  I know there will be more obstacles to face here on earth. The longer we live on this fallen earth the more opportunities there will be to experience hurt and sorrow.  God never promised that we would be able to escape these things, but He has promised that He will be our refuge, a shelter in time of trouble.  


Religion tells us if we 'do' steps 1, 2, 3, then we will be guaranteed results a, b, c.  The Old Testament proved to us that man cannot live out the law of God without His Grace.  We can't be 'good' enough without Jesus.  We are always trying to find the 'system' or 'steps' that will grant us power to avoid the sorrows of this life.  We are actually longing for heaven, where there will be no more pain, no more sorrow, no more sadness, no more loss, no more tears, no more death.  But this will never be heaven.  Until we reach heaven, we have a God who will walk with us through the valleys, He will not forsake us in times of trouble.  His Grace is sufficient for every situation we face!





























No comments:

Post a Comment