Thursday, July 12, 2012

Don't Forfeit The Power of The Son


Psalm 51:7 (NIV)  “Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”

One of my fondest memories from childhood was helping my mother with the laundry each week.  She would give me a basket of small items, such as wash cloths, socks, under garments and hand towels to hang on the clothes line.  After they dried in the sunshine, we would take them all down, fold them and put them neatly away in their proper places.  All of the clothes and linens seemed to be so fresh and clean, especially the white ones.  I remember my mother would tell me to smell the sunshine in each piece of laundry.  I can still recall those smells in my memory.  We would also periodically take our pillows, rugs, and other such items outside and allow the sun to remove unwanted odors and give them a nice smell, too.  When we brought those things back into the house again, they would bring the freshness of sunlight inside.  

We’ve gained a lot of conveniences and speed with our modern appliances, giving us the ability to wash and dry our laundry with the least amount of effort.  We use detergents that have a multiple selection of scents and extra whitening power, add softeners and static reducers to our dryers, all in an effort to replace the benefits lost by an easier way to do things.  We have forfeited the benefits of the sun, which has the power to whiten and give freshness to our clothes.

Sadly, we have also forfeited the benefits of the Son of God when we do not rely heavily on the whitening power of His blood.  We can try many other ways to be clean from sin – good works, positive confession, denial, deferring blame, self loathing, just to name a few, but there is only one way that our sins are washed away. 

I John 1:7 (NIV) “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son purifies us from all sin.”

We would do well to be reminded of the power of the blood as this old hymn so well states, that our cleansing and all of our righteousness comes through the blood of Jesus Christ.

What Can Wash Away My Sin (Robert Lowry)

What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Oh!  Precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

For my cleansing this I see-
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
For my pardon this my plea-
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

Nothing can my sin erase
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
Naught of works, ‘tis all of grace-
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

This is all my hope and peace-
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
This is all my righteousness-
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!

Oh!  Precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment